EndNote @CSUS News
- These instructions were written for X7; except for the change of icons in X8, these instructions will still work. A revision is being worked on. (dm 12/8/2016)
- X8 is avaialble for download from the campus download site (12/8/2016)
- Read the compatibility instructions before downloading
- X7 is not compatible with the Mac operating system Sierra (9/27/16)
- X7 is not compatible with a Chromebook
- Join an EndNote Discussion Forum
- Import Filters
- Output Styles
- Connection Files
EndNote is a program for managing references.
Use it to:
- Organize References
- Create Bibliographies
- Insert and format citations in papers
Continue reading the box below to learn more about EndNote [desktop version]
EndNote Web is the online component of EndNote. It has similar functions, although it is much more limited and not as robust as the desktop version of EndNote. Students, faculty and staff can create an account. At this time we do not offer assistance in EndNote Web's use, except for sharing references.
For additional information, and how to create an EndNote Web account, select the Sharing References tab at the top of the page).
Downloading EndNote X8 (Desktop):
It is available free of charge to CSUS students, faculty and staff from the campus software download page: http://www.csus.edu/irt/software/personallyowned.html EndNote is listed under T, Thomson Reuters EndNote
Here is a link to EndNote's page on Compatibility. Please read it before downloading.
MAC Users please read the information in the MAC tab before downloading.
If you are upgrading from an earlier version of EndNote EndNote recommends uninstalling earlier versions. Click here for more information.
Where to Get Help
Don't get discouraged if it takes a little while to get comfortable using EndNote. With a little practice it isn't difficult, and there are many resources available for help and information.
- EndNote's built-in help system: just press F1
- EndNote manual in PDF format: in Windows XP, click Start Menu / All Programs / EndNote / EndNote Manual
- ISI's EndNote support page
- ISI's EndNote Video Tutorials and User Manual for X5 User Manual for X6 and User Manual for X7
- EndNote YouTube Videos
Or contact one of the Library's EndNote Team:
Frequently Asked Questions
I'm having problems exporting citations with my Mac computer....
Make sure you are using Firefox as your browser.
Should I use one library file for all my references, or separate libraries for different projects?
It may be easiest to use one library for everything and set up a separate group of references for each project, but it's entirely up to you. EndNote works fine with multiple library files.
I already have a long bibliography that I typed in Word. Can I convert it to an EndNote library?
Unfortunately there's no easy way to do this automatically. The best way is to search for your references online (if possible) and download them into EndNote.
How do I download search results from my favorite database into EndNote?
Every database works a little differently. In general, the procedure is:
- Search the database as usual.
- Choose the references you want to save.
- Use the database's Save or Export function. There's often a choice to export to EndNote, or save references in a text file that EndNote can read via Import on the File menu.
I tried using EndNote's Online Search feature to search a database, but it asks for a password.
Online Search works best with library catalogs like OneSearch Library Catalog Local Library collection or free databases such as Pubmed. Most databases work best by exporting from your browser rather than using EndNote's Online Search function.
How do I add page numbers to an in-text citation?
Right-click the formatted citation and choose "Edit Citation" from the menu. Fill in the page numbers (including spaces and punctuation) in the "Pages" field, click OK, then reformat your bibliography.
I installed EndNote, but it says it's a demo version that will expire soon. How do I install the full version?
This usually happens when the files from EndNote's installation package were not extracted properly. You will need to uninstall the demo version, then reinstall the program. Be sure to first Save the program, then Open or Run.