Searching for Books
ONESEARCH is a catalog of items owned by the CSUS Library. Books can be searched for by title, author, keyword and subject (Library of Congress Subject Headings).
Some suggested subects for locating works on ancient history are:
- history ancient
- civilization ancient
- civilization classical
Also, one can search for countries as a subject with the subheading history and then time periods that represent the ancient world, usually before the 6th century:
- Greece History 146 B C 323 A D
- Greece History 281 146 B C
- Greece History 323 1453
Use Advanced Keyword to search for books on topics such as:
- "alexander the great"
- caesar and gallic war
- greece and women
- rome and law
- egypt and customs
Browsing: Below are some locations and Call Numbers for browsing the shelves for books on Ancient Greece:
2 South DE1-100, DF10-289 for History
2 South BL700-820 for Mythology
3 North PA3050-4505 for Literature
The book (monograph) is one of the most important avenues that historians use for communicating scholarly research.
Use ONESEARCH to find historical research available at Sacramento State and the other CSUs.
Use WORLDCAT & UC Davis' Harvest catalog to locate material we don't own.
Searching for Books (monographs) at CSUS
- Searches only for the words, not the concepts.
- Is often the best search to do initially, until you know what the Subject terms are.
- Can be used in conjunction with an outline to conceptualize a topic.
- Searches the concept (as defined by the Library of Congress Subject Headings)
- Is often better done when the keyword search isn't garnering material appropriate to the topic.
- May take more work, but will yield better results than a keyword search.
Other catalgos allow one to find material not owned by CSUS.