A paperclip icon next to a citation in the Library window indicates a file has been attached to that record.
There are 2 methods to attach a file (i.e., PDF, figure, etc.) to an EndNote record. The first is to use the Find Full Text command under the References menu. You will need to enter your SacLink User Name and Password, and select the Continue link. Unfortunately, it often does not work, even if your Preferences are have been correctly set.
The workaround is to use the File Attachment command listed under the References menu. However, before attaching a file, you will need to have saved it somewhere easily accessible on your computer.
- Highlight the reference to which you want to attach a file
- From the References menu, select File Attachment then, Attach file
- Locate the file you wish to attach and select Open.
Before attaching files, read the section in the EndNote manual on Selecting a Relative Path or an Absolute Path for File Attachments for an explanation of how/where it saves the file.
Using a PDF to Create a Reference [X4 or X5 or X6]
Use this method if you already have an article in PDF saved in your computer and it has an embedded DOI (Digital Object Identifier). It exports the article and (hopefully, not always) creates an EndNote reference at the same time.
- Select File from the main menu
- Select Import then File from the dropdown menu.
- Select the File
- Select PDF as the Import Option
- Decide on duplicates
- Select Unicode (UTF-8) as the Text Translation.
- Click on Import
- Be sure to check the reference to determine if the citaion is complete/correct. [ it doesn't always work]
Opening an Article from within EndNote
Sometimes you can link from the EndNote record directly to the journal ariticle, but not in all databases [EBSCO works best]. An alternative to saving a copy of an article on your computer is to link to it using the the URL included in the EndNote record. Using this method you will directed to either the article summary with a PDF link, the article, or to the Find It menu. You will need to have set your Preferences to make this work. If necessary, refer to the First-Time Users instructions.