Author-Date References system
Citations of journals include the volume (follows the italicized journal title) and issue number (often appears in parentheses) and date of publication. Always include the page range in the bibliography or reference list, if it is available. A specific page reference is included in the text. If a journal is paginated consecutively across a volume or if the month or seaaon is included in the reference list entry, the issue number (or month or season) may be omitted.
(Blair 1977, 331-32)
(Schuman and Scott 1987)
(Ikenberry, Lakonshok, and Vermaelen 1995)
(Schonen et al. 2009) (works with more than three authors)
Blair, Walter. 1977. "Americanized Comic Braggarts." Critical Inquiry 4 (2): 331-49
Schuman, Howard, and Jacqueline Scott. 1987. "Problems in the Use of
Survey Questions to Measure Public Opionion." Science 236: 957-59.
Ikenberry, David L., Josef Lakonishok, and Theo Vermaelen. 1995.
"Market underreaction to open market share repurchases."
Journal of Financial Economics 39, 181-208.
.Morasse, Sebastien, Helga Guderley, and Julian J. Dodson. 2008. "Paternal
reproductive Strategy Influences Metabolic Capacities and Muscle
Development of Atlantic salmon (Salmo salar L. ) Embryos."
Physiological and Biochemical Zoology 81 (4): 402-13.
Magazines in reference lists
Kauffman, Stanley. 1989. Review of A Dry White Searson (film), directed
by Euzhan Palcy. New Republic, October 9, 24-25.
Notes and Bibliography system
Citations of periodicals require some or all of the following data:
1. Full name(s) of author or authors
2. Title and subtitle of article or column
3. Title of periodical (italicized)
4. Issue information (volume, issue number, dtate, etc.)
5. Page reference (where appropriate)
6. For online periodicals, a URL or, if available, a DOI.
Journals with volume number and month
2. C. Daniel Batson, "How Social Is the Animal? The Human Capacity for
Caring," American Psychologist 45 (March 1990): 336. (Full Citation in a Note)
2. Batson, "How Social Is he Animal?," 337. (Shortened Citation in a Note)
Abrams, Marshall. "How DO Natural Selection and Random Drift Interact?"
Philosophy of Science 74 (December 2007): 666-79. (Bibliography)
Journals with volume number and season
1. Boyan Jovanovic and Peter L. Rousseau, "Specifc Capital and Technological
Variety," Journal of Human Capital 2 (Summer 2008): 135, doi: 10.1086/590066.
(Full Citation in a Note)
Jovanovic, Boyan, and Peter L. Rousseau, "Specific Capital and Technological Variety."
Journal of Human Capital 2 (Summer 2008):129-52. doi:10.1086/590066.
Journals with volume number and issue number
34. Olson, "Codes, Costs, and Critiques." 22-23. (Shortened Citation in a Note)
1. Hope A. Olson, "Codes, Costs, and Critiques: The organiztion of
Information in Library Quarterly, 1931-2004," Library Quarterly 76, no. 1
(2006): 20, doi: 10.1086/504343. (Full Citation in a Note)
Olson, Hope A. "Codes, Costs, and Critiques: The Organization of
Information in Library QUarterly, 1931-2004." Library Quarterly
76, no. 1 (2006): 19-35. doi: 10.1086/504343. (Bibliography)
Journals with no volume number or date only
Past and Present, no. 62 (1974): 47-95. (Bibliography--
Note that a comma follows the journal title.)
Saberhagen, Kelvin. “Lake Superior Beluga?” Sturgeon Review,
Winter 1928, 21-45.
1. Beth Saunier, "From Vine to Wine," Cornell Alumni Magazine, September/October 2008, 48.
(Full Citation in a Note)